Feb 8, 2013

We've Got New Interns!


As spring creeps closer, bringing a new crop of exciting titles from Scarletta, so too have there been a few changes around the office lately. The other staff members and I were sorry to see our fall intern, Lexy, go. But allow me to introduce one of our new spring editorial interns, Emily.

***


Hello! My name is Emily, and first I just want to say that I’m really looking forward to this opportunity to be a part of Scarletta. This season is an especially exciting time to join Scarletta as books from the new imprints are going to press. As we pioneer Scarletta Kids, Scarletta JR, and Red Portal, the last being a new hybrid model for self-publishing, a new vision for the future of what books can be is taking shape.

It was this willingness to innovate in the face of a quickly changing publishing world that initially drew me to Scarletta. While continuing to publish the inspiring stories that are a hallmark of their titles for adults, I was impressed by both the educational and literary quality that Scarletta’s upcoming children’s books promised. The experience and knowledge that I bring to Scarletta is, I hope, equally comprehensive. While my undergraduate education focused on English literature, I have also worked as a literacy tutor and student teacher in elementary school classrooms. I’ve learned that children are unique as readers go; not only do they deserve enthralling stories that will ensure they are lifelong readers, but books that also keep in mind how they are developing as learners. Because of our work at Scarletta, such books are making their way into the hands of young readers.

I look forward to being a part of Scarletta’s evolving vision as a press through editorial support and sharing the latest news here in our blog. Next month, we’ll begin a year in which we’ll publish more titles than ever before. The first title is Nalah and the Pink Tiger, a book I’m particularly enthusiastic about, and one that brought a puppeteer to our author list! Amazing things are happening every day at Scarletta. I look forward to sharing them with you!
--Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment